
“Hiding in Plain Sight” is by Marion Kummerow. This book is part
of a series, but can be read as a stand-alone, though I’d recommend
reading either one of the series that this character, Roxy, is part of
for deeper background information. I had read one of the series, where
Roxy was a minor character, but I think - for me - reading the series
about her would’ve made this book a lot richer. However, Ms. Kummerow
does a good job getting the reader up to speed on who Roxy is (including
her past) and how’s she surviving in post WWII Germany. Ms. Kummerow
always does her historical research and, once again, that shines through
in this book - but for once, for me this book rather lay there as there
wasn’t anything new historically for me to learn (something I always
want from a historical fiction book). This book felt a bit predictable
and while it was a good read, it wasn’t as gripping as some of her other
books. I did like that Roxy’s story had closure and it was clear that
post-WWII Germany had some prejudices to deal with (was the British
officer a bit over the top? Maybe, but I’m sure he did face some
discrimination based upon his accent and appearance). Overall, for me,
this was a quick read, but having not read the series about Roxy, I felt
like I was missing some details that could have made this story deeper
and richer. Three stars.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.