My review posted to Goodreads:
I honestly didn't like this book. I found the setting up to be
interesting (the background part boring but possibly necessary) but the
"fever dream time jump" part was bizarre. Did it all make sense in the
end - yes, but by then, honestly, I didn't care. I never really cared
for the main character, Natalie, and really didn't like her husband or
the extended families. And I didn't understand why Natalie felt the
world owed her everything for her existing (and her looks), but that's
just me. I didn't see the satire, I did see the poking fun at, but at
times the poking fun at felt more like mean girls bringing down someone
because they can.
I think (I hope?) most people know that IG and
social media only show what a poster wants them to show - the carefully
curated, the perfected, the "image" opposed to the reality ... of
course we don't have "super women" doing all the cooking, the filming,
the farm chores, the household chores, the everything without help (just
like back in the 2010s we all couldn't be girl bosses unless we had
money to hire people to care for the kids & someone else to care for
the house while we worked in an office for 40+ hours in order to become
a "girl boss"). Now, that being said, I don't follow any trad wife
accounts and, honestly, know very little about it (fine, I have a 5 year
old sourdough starter that, somehow, is still alive), but I'm probably
not the target audience for this book (and I don't think following
Pioneer Woman **just for the recipes** really counts, does it? Even she
has help around the farm and had a filming crew and had housecleaning
staff), but I digress.
As I chose this book for my BOTM club
April pick, they asked a question - "do you wish you'd read this book" -
in the end, honestly, no. I had to look up "trad wife" just to make
sure I wasn't missing anything ... then I needed to look up Ballerina
Farms (which a commenter said this book was based on) and then read an
article about Hannah whoever - and, yes, it all clicked, but honestly, I
don't care (though I was surprised at how many people I follow follow
Hannah). In about a decade, we'll have a new "goal" for women to aspire
to - whether it be girl boss or trad woman or even super woman ... take
bits from each, but be true to yourself 'cause in the end, that's really
all that matters to me. [off soap box that I didn't know I was on]
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.